Monday, February 05, 2007

Old Josh, in: Pure Nigger (Episode Five) "Song of the Slave"

Old Josh, in:
Song of the Slave
(Episode Five)




(Silas and Jordan, walking along the Ozark creek, that runs from Mr. Hightower’s plantation, across his neighbors property (the Smiley’s), and down in back of the cemetery; and as they walk, Josh remembers a song-poem he and his mother used to sing, one he sang long ago, when coming over to America, New Orleans, with his mother as a slave.)



Nothin’ but a slave
Loosed from de boat
Wid shackles round me ankles
Wid a whip on me back
Waitin’ ef dey kills me,
Wid de whip an’ bullets
An’ de dangers in Orleons
“I’ll take my chance, brother…”
I hear my mother say

“Dat is now behind me…”
Dat wht my modher say,
So I take my chance, brother,
And I may run away.

I Dere’s a hard, hard road
Up ahead,
I ain’ got much food or bread
But I’m not dead
An’ my belly is fed.
“I’ll take my chance, brother…”
Dat wut my modher say.

(Written 2-5-2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home