Thursday, February 08, 2007

Old Josh, in: Old Rattlesnakes's Ghost (2nd Series, Episode #9)Reedited 8/2008/Flash Fiction

Old Josh, in:
Old Rattlesnake’s Ghost

1898

(Advance: ) Hank Jackson, once a slave to Mr. Smiley, on his plantation (Charles T. Hightower’s neighbor), was purchased back in 1826, was called ‘Old Rattlesnake’ by Josh, as they were friends for many years, and he up and died some time in the 1870s; Hank never knew how old he was and was a young man when he was bought by the Smiley’s down in New Orleans; married Lucy, a slave already on the plantation.

Old Josh is sitting back on his porch, thinking of the old days, and Silas just cleaned the barn and is leaning on the wall next to Josh, and Josh starts a conversation, says:
“Old Rattlesnake he done appeared to me the other day, he a ghost, and when I waz restin’ he show up, as the sun hit my head…”
“What is all this crazy talk ‘bout, pa?” said Silas.
He like to talk, talk, talk, jes’ like when he was a-liven, but he done frightenin’ me, he tell me ‘bout the devil. He was in a heap of sweaten´ too, he say the theyall got this corral down yonder, they put the white folks and one they put the black folk in, and whoever git that darn rattlesnake, gits the green pasture.
“Why they got this corral down yonder, pa?” asked Silas.
“Lit them there white folks cool off, I supposin’ so,” said Josh.
“Youall been smokin’ that there local weed pa—that stuff down by Molly’s place by Goose Creek I bet?”
Said Josh, “Nope, I waz jes’ fishin’ down yonder, at Goose Creek…when he show up, I done caught a big one but I had to let him go …cuz Old Rattlesnake surprised me, and that there fish was likened to an alligator, but I let him go home, when I see him the ghost of Old Rattlesnake, I say to him, ‘Whom you is?’ and he say, ‘I is a ghost Josh.’ He say he waz glad to see me but I waz not glad to see him, he can stay dead, cuz he is one ugly nigger; I suppose his spirit be hangin’ round my house now. I wants him to stay dead, old friend or not. He say one thing interesten’ , the devil dont care if you is white or black, that people is people, and he say ‘Tell Old Josh not to pray, cuz we is a waiten’ fer him down here—“ Old Hank was a scoundrel he waz, he never change.”


Note: The short fiction story, was under the second series of Old Josh, written in 2-7-2007, under “Pure Nigger: 2nd Series, Episode #9” ”Old Rattlesnake’s Ghost (1898)” Reedited, 8-2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home