Friday, February 09, 2007

Old Josh, in: Amos and Josh: Darkies/1897(Pure Nigger:2nd Series, Episode #12)

Old Josh, in:
Amos and Josh: Darkies/1897)
(Episode #12)


(Amos and Josh, used to hang around together, years ago, in early 1860s, Josh worked on the Hightower farm and Amos on a neighbor’s farm which is close by. They used to go downtown to the ice house, to fetch some ice for each of their masters, down by the railroad, in Ozark, Alabama. And one day they were bringing their ice back to the plantations, and they saw a Magical show. Jordan is sitting on the porch playing his banjo right now, and Silas, drinking some “Moon,” whiskey, and Josh is about to tell his story… :)


Josh: Silas, Jordan, here is a story of ole Ames an’ me back in ’62, wes comin’ back from Ozark wit de ice Betsy Clementine ask me to pick up for her pa, and Amos for de Marster, and dere was a big Blackie down dere with magic tricks, he say: “…come her nigger, I got a trick for yoo-all. Amos pull my arm say: “Dat dere nigger goin’ hog tie yo good…” Den that Big Blackie say: “Come here, brother.” (Jordan intense looking at Josh, waiting for the next word, unknowing playing a few cords on his banjo)…I say, sure, wut yo want? An’ he say, “I can make dat der ice of you’ disappear…!” An’ I say, no brother, dat not possible. An’ he come to talk to me an’ Amos, dere some more niggers standing ‘bout, I don’t b’liedven in no magic, he look me in de eye, and smoke come all ‘bout, and de ice was gone. An’ I tells him, “Where de ice?” and dat Big Blackie say, standin’ up like a snake ‘bout to bite me, “Magic brother, it is magic, gone to de other side.” Th oder side I say, wuh is dat? And she say, “Brother it is way back yonder, if yo want to go der I can help yo-all.”

(A long pause, Jordan and Silas look at Josh waiting for the end of the story.)

Jordan: Well pa, den wat?
Josh: I end up b’lieven in magic and anit guina fool wid no magic no more, an’ Amos and I leave, effen dat dere man git mad, we be on dat other side too, and I didnt want to go, either Amos.



Note: Betsy Clementine Hightower [1835-1869] Suicide at 34-years old

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home