Friday, February 09, 2007

Old Josh, in: The Brown Toad Race

Old Josh, in:
The Brown Toad Race
(In-between Episode)

There was an Episode #19 that fell between series one and two. This is it. Series one being 18-episodes of “Old Josh (From Ozark, Alabama)) created in 2005 and 2006)) Series 2, “Old Josh, in: Pure Nigger” created 2007))



“Dat’s right,” said old Josh, “it aint no fun unless yous bet!”
“Got me toad already, yessum I do, fifteen dollar I paid for des toad, he goina be de winner tomorrow at de toad race” said Silas.
“Dat dere nothin’ son,” said Josh, “wut’s we gont er do is bet on da side, in case you’ brown toad git lazy on us…!”
“How?” asked Silas, hesitant.
“Givme some dat dere rum?”said Josh, “cussen I dont git too excited! Wes give de toad some, and light his foot with de firewood.”
“I can make him run pop, no need fer de wood!”
“Yessum, I dont ‘isblieve yo son, I done git athinking on this toad...de minute I puts my eyes on dat dere toad it put me in mind of…iffen—

(Josh couldn’t think of what he wanted to say, hesitated for a moment, so there was a long pause, then abruptly was going to continue, when Silas was about to say something:))

lit me finish son…”
“Then finish pa…”
“…it put me in mind of an old pigeon I used to have—I near well forgot him.”

(They both stopped, looked at each other, gently almost in a dreamy manner, Old Josh, 83-year old ((1898).)

“Dat dere pigion, back in ‘22, was long ‘efure, you’ born son, down in Orleans.”
“…you were so young bank den, an’ so fur away,” said Silas “wat dat dere pigeon do pa?”
“He walk liken he de king pigeon, and no one de better, an’
he lazy as de day is long, liken dat dere toad of you’ yo thinken will win de race, he looken like de proud pigion I have.
“Yup, pa, I git thinking dataway too,” commented Silas.

(As Josh and Silas talked about the toad race tomorrow, and the toad, and Josh’s experience with the pigeons when he was young, the toad jumps out of the cigar box, Silas was holding.)

“Wuh he do dat for pa?” Asked Silas, looking about over the end of the porch.
“He goina find his way to de race while we talkin’, he a bored toad, jes like me pigeon.”

1-24-2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home